Definition of The gambia
1. Noun. A narrow republic surrounded by Senegal in West Africa.
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Banjul, Capital Of Gambia
Group relationships: Africa
Member holonyms: Gambian
Derivative terms: Gambian
The Gambia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: The Gambia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of The Gambia
Literary usage of The gambia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1876)
"On a proposed Trade Boute from the Gambia to Timbuctoo. By HTM COOPER, Administrator of the Gambia. Government House, Bathurst, River Gambia, September 15th ..."
2. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1859)
"... Visit to the King of Bur Sin, 64 miles to the North of the Gambia. By Col. ... my own interpreter, and Massara, the chief of the Gambia Mahometans, ..."
3. The Ibis by British Ornithologists' Union (1901)
"On the ornithology of the Gambia River. XXXV.—On the Ornithology of the Gambia Kiver. ... IN visiting the Gambia Colony between November 1898 and July 1899, ..."
4. A Historical Geography of the British Colonies by Charles Prestwood Lucas (1894)
"the gambia. THE present British colony, or rather dependency, of the CHAPTER Gambia dates from 1816. In that year, British traders who ,, ' had been forced ..."
5. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1898)
"... the help SACRED STONES ON the gambia. of poles, for stacking grain, whilst isolated stones seen elsewhere seemed to show that some had been removed. ..."
6. Proceedings by Royal Colonial Institute (Great Britain) (1889)
"encounter on the coast of Guinea is the small and somewhat retrograde Colony of the Gambia, where by supineness and want of commercial energy we have ..."