Definition of The netherlands
1. Noun. A constitutional monarchy in western Europe on the North Sea; half the country lies below sea level.
Group relationships: Common Market, Ec, Eec, Eu, Europe, European Community, European Economic Community, European Union, Nato, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Benelux
Generic synonyms: European Country, European Nation
Terms within: Amsterdam, Capital Of The Netherlands, Dutch Capital, Apeldoorn, Arnhem, 's Gravenhage, Den Haag, The Hague, Eindhoven, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Leiden, Leyden, Utrecht, Friesland, Frisian Islands, Hoek Van Holland, Hook Of Holland, Ijssel, Ijssel River, Ijsselmeer, Meuse, Meuse River, Rhein, Rhine, Rhine River
Group relationships: Europe
Member holonyms: Dutchman, Hollander, Netherlander
Derivative terms: Hollander
Definition of The netherlands
1. Proper noun. (alternative spelling of Netherlands) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
The Netherlands Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: The Netherlands Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of The Netherlands
Literary usage of The netherlands
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the United Netherlands, from the Death of William the Silent to by John Lothrop Motley (1900)
"... of the king's army—Siege of Corbeil—Death of Pope Sixtus V.—Recapture of Lagny and Corbeil—Return of Parma to the Netherlands—Result of the expedition. ..."
2. History of the United Netherlands: From the Death of William the Silent to by John Lothrop Motley (1861)
"Military Plans in the Netherlands — Tho Elector and Electorate of Cologne — Martin Schenk — His Career before serving the States — Franeker University ..."
3. History of the United Netherlands: From the Death of William the Silent to by John Lothrop Motley (1870)
"... unless they could get out of the way.3 In regard to the Netherlands, it was agreed by the two contracting powers that one should never assist the rebels ..."
4. The American Journal of International Law by American Society of International Law (1918)
"Two cargoes of this copper metal have passed the Netherlands already, ... the netherlands Government feel confident that the British Government will admit ..."
5. History of the United Netherlands: From the Death of William the Silent to by John Lothrop Motley (1871)
"The instinct of the English sovereign, of English statesmen, of the English nation, taught them that the cause of the Netherlands was their own. ..."
6. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero, Ernest Alfred Benians (1904)
"In the Netherlands, as in his other dominions, Charles endeavoured to enforce his will upon the Church. But the rival interests of the great alien sees, ..."
7. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"Jefferson and Madison repeatedly pointed to the Netherlands as a good example for American imitation. As a matter of fact, the English language overcame in ..."