Definition of Thomomys
1. Noun. Western pocket gophers.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Geomyidae, Geomyidae
Member holonyms: Thomomys Bottae, Valley Pocket Gopher, Northern Pocket Gopher, Thomomys Talpoides
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Thomomys Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Thomomys
Literary usage of Thomomys
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller (1912)
"Mountains at head of Big Lost River, Custer County, Idaho. t*thomomys fuscus ... Humboldt Bay, Humboldt County, Califor t*thomomys latirostris Merriam. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1882)
"A critical study of the genus thomomys shows two well marked forms hitherto ... thomomys canus sp. nov. Type from Deep Hole, at north end of Smoke Creek ..."
3. A Geographical History of Mammals by Richard Lydekker (1896)
"FACE OF thomomys talpoides, SHOWING SMOOTH UPPER INCISORS AND OPENINGS OF CHEEK-POUCHES. 0 sub-region of the Holarctic, where they are represented by a ..."
4. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"Upper and Lower Austral, Transition, 1I, 12, 13. 126. thomomys ... thomomys angularis pascalis. FRESNO POCKET-GOPHER. Lower Austral, 4. 130. ..."