Definition of Thunnus
1. Noun. Tunas: warm-blooded fishes.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Scombridae, Scombridae
Member holonyms: Tuna, Tunny, Bluefin, Bluefin Tuna, Horse Mackerel, Thunnus Thynnus, Thunnus Albacares, Yellowfin, Yellowfin Tuna
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Thunnus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Thunnus
Literary usage of Thunnus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. All about Hawaii (1916)
"The world renowned species of game fish—the giant mackerels—such as the leaping tuna (thunnus thynnus) ; long-fin tuna (thunnus ..."
2. Code of Federal Regulations 21 Food and Drugs: Parts 100 to 169 Revised as by U.s. Gpo (2005)
"(2) The fish included in the class known as tuna fish are: thunnus thynnus (Linnaeus, 1758)—Northern bluefin tuna thunnus maccoyii (Castelnau, ..."
3. Guide to the Gallery of Fishes in the Department of Zoology of the British by William George Ridewood (1908)
"Albacore' is a sailors' name for Albacore. any species of thunnus with long pectoral fins; it probably includes other species than thunnus ..."
4. Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States: Annotated for Statistical ...edited by Stephen Koplan, Deanna Tanner Okun edited by Stephen Koplan, Deanna Tanner Okun (2006)
"... 1.1 cf/kg 10 Flounder kg 20 Rock sole (Pleuronectes bilineatus) kg 30 Yellowfin sole (Pleuronectes asper) kg 95 Other J kg Tunas (of the genus thunnus), ..."
5. North American Free Trade Agreement: Mexico Schedule of Tariff Rate Reductionsby DIANE Publishing Company by DIANE Publishing Company (1994)
"20 AA 0303.39 - - Los demás. 0303.39.99 Los demás. 20 AA - Atunes (del género thunnus), listados o bonitos de vientre rayado (Euthynnus (Katsuwonus) ..."