¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Tinaja
1. an earthenware jar [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tinaja Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tinaja
Literary usage of Tinaja
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. New Trails in Mexico: An Account of One Year's Exploration in North-western by Carl Lumholtz (1912)
"... camp to the place where Alberto and the guide were to meet us, in the southern Pinacate Mountains, one mile from the pool called tinaja del Cuervo. ..."
2. Neuman and Baretti's Dictionary of the Spanish and English Languages by Henry Neuman, Giuseppe Marco Antonio Baretti (1842)
"Cantar en tinaja, (Met.) To be fond of one's own praise. CANTIGA, if. V. Cantar. CANTIL, sm. Steep rock. CANTARA,«/. 1. Large narrow-mouthed pitcher. ..."
3. Red Men and White by Owen Wister (1895)
"LA tinaja BONITA " And it came to pass after a while that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land."—I Kings xvii. 7. ..."
4. Transactions of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and (1915)
"Such a tinaja, when well sheltered, may hold water for several months, ... There is a large tinaja of this kind at this place and fairly good drinking water ..."
5. The Arts and Crafts of Older Spain by Leonard Williams (1907)
"The third tinaja is also in this museum, and was discovered in 1901. ... The sixth tinaja is unglazed. It was found in June of 1893, and is adorned with ..."
6. Mexico and Central America Pilot (Pacific Coast) from the United States to by United States Hydrographic Office (1918)
"La tinaja Point, about 9$ miles southward of Gasparino Point, is a rocky bluff, 75 feet high, over which rises rather abruptly a hill 541 feet high. ..."
7. Journal by Royal Society of Arts (Great Britain) (1873)
"In a vineyard I saw a large tinaja used as a dog-kennel ; and in a shed at San Lucar I ... His reputation grew, it is said, out of one partii ul.a tinaja, ..."