Definition of Tofranil
1. Noun. A tricyclic antidepressant (trade names Imavate and Tofranil) used to treat clinical depression.
Generic synonyms: Tricyclic, Tricyclic Antidepressant, Tricyclic Antidepressant Drug
Language type: Trade Name, Trade Name
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tofranil Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tofranil
Literary usage of Tofranil
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of Severe Disability: A Text for Rehabilitation Counselors, Other edited by Walter C. Stolov, Michael R. Clowers (2000)
"Depressive neurosis is treated with psychotherapy, often in conjunction with the antidepressant drugs such as imipramine (tofranil), amitriptyline (Elavil), ..."
2. Value of Psychiatric Treatment: Its Efficacy in Severe Mental Disorders edited by Samuel J. Keith (1996)
"... tricyclic antide- pressants such as imipramine (tofranil), appear to benefit only a relatively small proportion of depressed adolescents (Boulos et al. ..."
3. Guidelines for Treatment of Cancer Pain (1993)
"The drugs most commonly used are imipramine hydrochloride (tofranil) and amitriptyline hydrochloride (Elavil). Generally, they should initially be given as ..."
4. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Information for Physicians edited by Barry Leonard (1998)
"... a tricyclic antidepressant, such as imipramine HC1 (SK-Pra- mine, tofranil, et al), 50-to 75 mg/day in a single dose taken 1 or 2 hours before bedtime. ..."