Definition of Toggle bolt
1. Noun. A fastener consisting of a threaded bolt and a hinged spring-loaded toggle; used to fasten objects to hollow walls.
Definition of Toggle bolt
1. Noun. A fastening device consisting of a bolt and a pair of hinged, usually sprung, wings threaded at the hinge to receive the bolt, used by inserting the bolt with wings folded into a small hole in a sheet material to the point where the wings unfold and the bolt can be tightened. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Toggle Bolt Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Toggle Bolt Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Toggle Bolt
Literary usage of Toggle bolt
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Electricians' Handbook: A Reference Book for Practical Electrical by Terrell Croft (1921)
"The so- called plumber's toggle bolt (Fig. 7) has a removable, hexagonal Finat Position ~ 4 ... Nut-type toggle bolt. FIG. 7.—Plumbers' toggle bolt. for ..."
2. American Electricians' Handbook: A Reference Book for Practical Electrical by Terrell Croft (1913)
"Plumbers' toggle bolt. thread from view. Cone-head toggles, Fig. 8, are used principally for ... toggle bolt for metal molding. That of Fig. 5, / and Fig. ..."
3. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1909)
"9 is shown a toggle bolt. This device is a recent production for fastening materials to ... The toggle bolt shown in the figure is constructed with long, ..."
4. Practical Electric Wiring by John MacLaren Sharp (1916)
"Where the plaster is laid on a metal lath, a T-head toggle bolt, size -J inch, 2\ inches long, as shown in Fig. 88D, is suggested. ..."
5. Spons' Dictionary of Engineering, Civil, Mechanical, Military, and Naval by Edward Spon (1874)
"The pile is held in position by a bolt 1} in. in diameter, called a toggle-bolt, passing through the pile about 2 ft. from the head to the back of tin. ..."
6. Factory Lighting by Clarence Edward Clewell (1913)
"A toggle bolt may be used by drilling the tile, forcing the toggle bolt into place, which when pulled down is anchored on the inner side of the tile as ..."
7. Engineering Facts and Figures by Andrew Betts Brown (1866)
"The pile is held in position to the uprights by a bolt 1^ in. in diameter, called a toggle bolt, passing through the pile about 2 ft. from the head to the ..."
8. Catalogues of Electrical Supplies by Western Electric Company (1898)
"... case of toggle bolt«; with the Ule bolt and lock then I« no need of an open space as 1« required lo the use of toggle bolt*. Cods Word. Liu No UM Prie«. ..."