Definition of Tool around
1. Verb. Ride in a car with no particular goal and just for the pleasure of it. "We tooled down the street"
Category relationships: Driving
Generic synonyms: Ride
Related verbs: Tool
Derivative terms: Joyride
Definition of Tool around
1. Verb. (transitive and intransitive idiomatic) To drive or jaunt about, going from place to place without any specific direction or goal. ¹
2. Verb. (idiomatic) To spend one's time idly. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tool Around
Literary usage of Tool around
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pocket Handbook of Useful Information, Price Lists, Telegraph Code, &c. by Standard Underground Cable Company, Joseph W. Marsh (1897)
"Instead of revolving the tool around the cable at right angles to the latter, the handles should be inclined in the direction of the cable, (see Figure 66) ..."
2. Catalogue of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Vases by Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Edward Robinson (1893)
"Decorations : three lines, drawn with a blunt tool, around \ _f the sides, and small notches cut around the slight projection at the bottom of the cup ..."
3. Text-book of Advanced Machine Work: Prepared for Students in Technical by Robert Henry Smith (1919)
"42). 5. Hold gage S as shown. Adjust cross feed. 6. Rap tool around until edge TU is parallel to work and about A" from it. 7. Clamp tool firmly. ..."
4. Pattern-making by G. H. Willard, Fred Duane Crawshaw (1910)
"... and locate the tool so that it will give the required thickness; change the cutting tool around so that the other edge will do the cutting. In Fig. ..."
5. I.C.S. Reference Library: A Series of Textbooks Prepared for the Students of by International Correspondence Schools (1905)
"The former draws down the lever handle of the tool on one side, while the latter draws it up on the other side, thus revolving the tool around the pipe. ..."
6. Knight's American Mechanical Dictionary: A Description of Tools, Instruments by Edward Henry Knight (1876)
"Then the operation of channeling or beveling is performed by drawing the tool around the sole, using the edge of the sole as a guide to determine the cut of ..."
7. Text-book of Advanced Machine Work: Prepared for Students in Technical by Robert Henry Smith (1915)
"4. Adjust point to height of dead center (MN, Fig. 42). 5. Hold gage S as shown. Adjust cross feed. 6. Rap tool around ..."
8. Machinery's Reference Series (1908)
"Design of Tool Permitting it to Spring away from Work. shown at right angles to the work and the cutting pressure tends to force the tool around to the ..."