Definition of Toss away
1. Verb. Throw or cast away. "Put away your worries"
Specialized synonyms: Unlearn, Deep-six, Give It The Deep Six, Jettison, Junk, Scrap, Trash, Waste, Dump, Retire, Abandon, Liquidize, Sell Out, Sell Up, De-access, Close Out
Generic synonyms: Get Rid Of, Remove
Derivative terms: Discard, Discard, Disposal, Disposition, Fling
Toss Away Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Toss Away Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Toss Away
Literary usage of Toss away
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Historical and Descriptive Account of the Caricatures of James Gillray by Thomas Wright, Robert Harding Evans (1851)
"John Bull exclaims, " toss away! toss away, my good Boy I toss away ! Oh, how kind it is to ease me of this terrible load !" Lord Henry Petty answers, ..."
2. Lives of the Lord Chancellors and Keepers of the Great Seal of England: From by John Campbell Campbell (1857)
"Oh,' said the Doctor, ' if so, Chambers, toss away, toss away, as hard as you can.'" The real good-humour here displayed makes us forget Jhe apparent ..."
3. Boswell's Life of Johnson: Including Boswell's Journal of a Tour of the by James Boswell, George Birkbeck Norman Hill (1891)
"said the Doctor," if so, Chambers, toss away, toss away, as hard as you can." He was very absent. I have seen him standing for a very long time, ..."
4. Quarterly Review by William Gifford, John Taylor Coleridge, John Gibson Lockhart, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, William Smith, John Murray, George Walter Prothero, Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle (1859)
"If so,' rejoined Johnson, ' toss away, toss away as hard as you can.' This was more than half a jest, for it was a common habit with him to indulge in ..."
5. Boswell's Life of Johnson: Including Boswell's Journal of a Tour to the by James Boswell, Samuel Johnson (1887)
"I know Mrs. Boswell wished me well to ' 'The celebrated Flora Mac- Chambers, toss away, toss away, as donald. See Boswell's Tour.' hard as you can. ..."
6. The Lives of the Lords Chancellors and Keepers of the Great Seal of England by John Campbell Campbell (1851)
"fc Oh,' said the Doctor, 4 if so, Chambers, toss away, toss away, as hard as you can.' " The real good-humour here displayed makes us forget the apparent ..."