¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Toxicosis
1. [n -COSES]
Medical Definition of Toxicosis
1. Any disease of toxic origin. Synonym: systemic poisoning. Origin: toxico-+ G. -osis, condition (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Toxicosis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Toxicosis
Literary usage of Toxicosis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mineral Tolerance of Animals by National Research Council (U. S.) (2005)
"Long-term studies have indicated that copper toxicosis can occur in housed sheep fed diets containing approximately 10 mg Cu/kg (Hogan et al., ..."
2. Diseases of Metabolism and of the Blood: Animal Parasites, Toxicology by Richard Clarke Cabot, Julius Lincoln Salinger (1910)
"Because of these disturbances the prognosis is very serious; and unless disease of another organ, consequent upon this toxicosis, particularly the lead ..."
3. Practical uranalysis and urinary diagnosis by Charles Wesley Purdy (1898)
"Under this head would come uraemia and certain of the symptoms of obstruction—retention toxicosis. (6) Clinical symptoms referable to the presence of basic ..."
4. Clinical Diagnosis: The Bacteriological, Chemical, and Microscopical by Rudolf Jaksch von Wartenhorst (1899)
"in disease and eliminated with the urine (noso-toxicosis). ... 93), and others which follow the absorption of gangrenous pus (auto-toxicosis). ..."
5. Superfund And Mining Megasites: Lessons from the Coeur D'alene River Basin by Best, National Research Council (U. S.), A01, ebrary, Inc (2005)
"These birds demonstrated high lead concentrations and histológica! indications of lead toxicosis compared with reference areas, yet had no indications of ..."
6. Arsenic by Assembly Of Life Sciences, National Academies Press, Assembly of Life Sciences (U.S.), National Academy of Sciences (U.S.) (1977)
"5-830 Poisoning by organic arsenicals in swine is not uncommon and probably is second in frequency only to water-deprivation-sodium-ion- toxicosis ..."