Definition of Tupaiidae
1. Noun. Tree shrews; in some classifications tree shrews are considered prosimian primates.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Order Scandentia, Scandentia
Member holonyms: Genus Tupaia, Tupaia, Tree Shrew, Genus Ptilocercus, Ptilocercus
Medical Definition of Tupaiidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tupaiidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tupaiidae
tupaiidae (current term)
Literary usage of Tupaiidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"... and tupaiidae among Mammalia, while . ... the squirrel-like tupaiidae consisting of three genera; and the curious ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The form of the pelvis, and especially of the symphysis pubis, varies within certain limits, so that while in the tupaiidae and ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"... and some (tupaiidae) arboreal. To the great majority the term ... and post-orbital processes of the frontals are found only in the tupaiidae and M ..."
4. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences by New York Academy of Sciences (1915)
"They are unknown in the extra-Holarctic Tertiary, but this negative evidence is of no weight in view of their minute size and rarity. The tupaiidae of the ..."