Definition of Turkmenistan
1. Noun. A republic in Asia to the east of the Caspian Sea and to the south of Kazakhstan and to the north of Iran; an Asian soviet from 1925 to 1991.
Group relationships: Cis, Commonwealth Of Independent States
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Terms within: Ashkhabad, Capital Of Turkmenistan, Kara Kum, Qara Qum, Turkestan Desert
Group relationships: Asia
Definition of Turkmenistan
1. Proper noun. Country in Central Asia. Official name: Turkmenistan. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Turkmenistan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Turkmenistan
Literary usage of Turkmenistan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (1999)
"turkmenistan turkmenistan is the only country in Central Asia that has signed and ratified the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty. It signed on 3 December 1997 and was ..."
2. Ukraine: Energy Policy Review 2006 by International Energy Agency (2006)
"turkmenistan cut off gas supplies to Ukraine over the latter's refusal to pay more for imports, and several days after, officials from Naftogaz of Ukraine ..."
3. Human Rights Watch World Report 1997 by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch Staff (1996)
"turkmenistan Human Rights Developments The autocratic rule of President Saparmurad Niyazov insured that 1996 was another year of relentless oppression of ..."
4. Human Rights Watch World Report 2005: The Events of 2004 by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch (Organization (2005)
"Indeed, the human rights situation in turkmenistan today is noticeably worse than it ... All national and local media outlets in turkmenistan belong to the ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"turkmenistan subsequently indicated it intended to meet the deadline of 1 March 2003. Mine Ban Policy turkmenistan signed the Mine Ban Treaty on 3 December ..."
6. Human Rights Watch World Report 1999 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1998)
"turkmenistan Human Rights Developments Under the dictatorship of President Saparmurat Niyazov. the government of turkmenistan in 1998 continued to deny its ..."
7. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"turkmenistan The Constitution provides for freedom of religion and does not establish a state religion; however, the Government severely restricts all ..."
8. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"turkmenistan Key developments since March 1999: turkmenistan has not ... turkmenistan was the first country in Central Asia to sign the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty ..."