Definition of Automeris
1. Noun. Io moth.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Saturniidae, Saturniidae
Member holonyms: Automeris Io, Io Moth
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Automeris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Automeris
Literary usage of Automeris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1907)
"LUTHER : DESCRIPTION OF Automeris. they can be readily divided by closely following these ... DESCRIPTION OF A VARIETY OF Automeris IO, FAB. BY CHAS. ..."
2. The Moth Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Moths of North America by William Jacob Holland (1903)
"Genus Automeris Hiibner Four species of this genus occur within our borders. ... The other, Automeris %elleri Grote & Robinson, may be distinguished from ..."
3. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1895)
"Automeris and Hemileuca must have separately acquired stinging spines and not from " an initiatory existence in a common ancestor," as Mr. Grote puts it, ..."
4. Nature Sketches in Temperate America: A Series of Sketches and Popular by Joseph Lane Hancock (1911)
"Here we are concerned with a discussion of some observations of one of our common moths, Automeris io. On a cloudy day in June, I found one of these moths ..."
5. Memorial of Life and Entomologic Work of Joseph Albert Lintner, State by Ephraim Porter Felt (1899)
"9. lo, Automeris (syn. ... see Automeris. lo emperor mr.th, 1:328; 11:205. Iowa academy of sciences. ..."