Definition of Automeris io
1. Noun. Large yellow American moth having a large eyelike spot on each hind wing; the larvae have stinging spines.
Generic synonyms: Saturniid, Saturniid Moth
Group relationships: Automeris, Genus Automeris
Automeris Io Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Automeris Io Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Automeris Io
Literary usage of Automeris io
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the New York Entomological Society by New York Entomological Society (1907)
"... as it tends to mislead the inexperienced beginners and confuses the literature of the subject. DESCRIPTION OF A VARIETY OF Automeris io, FAB. BY CHAS. ..."
2. Insect Life: An Introduction to Nature-study and a Guide for Teachers by John Henry Comstock (1897)
"The following are the more common North American species:— THE IO-MOTH, Automeris io (Au-tom'e-ris i'o).— This is the most common of the smaller species of ..."
3. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1863-1871), Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1895)
"The head and antennae are compared by Dr. Packard to those of Automeris io. Aglia resembles Telea somewhat in maculation and colour, and the wings in repose ..."
4. A Manual for the Study of Insects by John Henry Comstock, Anna Botsford Comstock (1895)
"The following species are those that the young student is most likely to find :— The lo-moth, Automeris io (Au-tom'e-ris i'o).—This is the most common of ..."
5. Butterfly and Moth Book: Personal Studies and Observations of the More by Ellen Bell (Robertson) Miller (1920)
"... Automeris io "I should like just the chance once to show you How lovely a moth can appear, Who has slept undisturbed in his casket His little two-thirds ..."