Definition of Lophodytes cucullatus
1. Noun. Small North American duck with a high circular crest on the male's head.
Generic synonyms: Fish Duck, Merganser, Sawbill, Sheldrake
Group relationships: Genus Lophodytes, Lophodytes
Lophodytes Cucullatus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lophodytes Cucullatus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lophodytes Cucullatus
Literary usage of Lophodytes cucullatus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Michigan Bird Life: A List of All the Bird Species Known to Occur in the by Walter Bradford Barrows (1912)
"Lophodytes cucullatus (Linn.). (131) Synonyms: Hooded Sheldrake, Summer Sheldrake, ... Lophodytes cucullatus of more recent authors. Figure 11. ..."
2. The Birds of New England and Adjacent States: Containing Descriptions of the by Edward Augustus Samuels (1883)
"Lophodytes cucullatus, Reichart. Syst. Av. (1852). DESCRIPTION. Head with an elongated, compressed, semicircular crest; anterior extremity of nostril ..."
3. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1895)
"Nat. p. ix (1852) , Range. Confined to North America. 1. Lophodytes cucullatus. PP.1. Hudson's Bay Co. Purchased. [P.]. John Ray, Esq. [P.]. ..."
4. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"Lophodytes cucullatus (Linn.). HOODED MERGANSER. Adult mule. — Head, neck, and back black; middle of crest and under parts, white; sides light brown, ..."