Definition of Malaya
1. Noun. A constitutional monarchy in southeastern Asia on Borneo and the Malay Peninsula; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1957.
Geographical relationships: Godown, Al-ma'unah, Islamic Community, Islamic Group, Jemaah Islamiyah, Ji, Malaysia Militant Group, Malaysian Mujahidin Group
Group relationships: Asean, Association Of Southeast Asian Nations
Generic synonyms: Asian Country, Asian Nation
Group relationships: Indochina, Indochinese Peninsula
Terms within: Capital Of Malaysia, Putrajaya, East Malaysia, West Malaysia
Member holonyms: Malay, Malayan, Malaysian
Derivative terms: Malayan, Malayan, Malaysian
Definition of Malaya
1. Proper noun. the Malay Peninsula ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Malaya Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Malaya
Literary usage of Malaya
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings by Royal Colonial Institute (Great Britain) (1896)
"I have great pleasure in introducing my friend Mr. Swettenham, than whom there is no one who can speak with such authority on British rule in Malaya. ..."
2. An Almanack for the Year of Our Lord by Joseph Whitaker (1869)
"Л Federation of Malaysia, to incorporate Malaya. Singapore, North Borneo and Sarawak, was expected to be set up In the autumn of 1963. ..."
3. The Malay Peninsula: A Record of British Progress in the Middle East by Arnold Wright, Thomas H. Reid (1912)
"NOT the least difficult part of the work of preparing an account of Malaya is the writing of the final words. The story is necessarily only half told. ..."
4. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"Burmah, Malaya, Ceylon, 1 The term "Malaya" is used here to include the ... Malay Archipelago '' will be used to include both Indo-Malaya and Austro-Malaya. ..."
5. The Evolution of Marriage and of the Family by Charles Jean Marie Letourneau (1895)
"Adultery among the Mongol Races and in Malaya. ... in Thibet, in China, in Japan, in Malaya. VIII. Adultery among the Egyptians, the Berbers, ..."
6. Mines and Minerals of the British Empire: Being a Description of the by Ralph S. G. Stokes (1908)
"ALLEN, MAV, Assistant Warden of Mines, Perak, Malaya. ... Osborne and Chappel), Perak, Malaya. CHOON, Foo Choo, mine-owner, Perak, Malaya. ..."
7. Proceedings by Royal Colonial Institute (Great Britain) (1903)
"British and Siamese Malaya. 46 Mr. Hugh Clifford, CMG, then read his Paper on ... AND SIAMESE Malaya. IT is my privilege to address you to-night on the ..."