Definition of Pashtun
1. Noun. A member of the mountain people living in the eastern regions of Afghanistan. "Pathans are the predominant ethnic group in Afghanistan"
2. Noun. An ethnic minority speaking Pashto and living in northwestern Pakistan and southeastern Afghanistan.
Definition of Pashtun
1. Adjective. Of or relating to the Pashtuns (a segmentary-lineage ethnic group currently numbering some 50 million people, which is the largest ethnic group in Afghanistan and the second largest in Pakistan), or to their culture. ¹
2. Noun. A Pashtun person: a member of the Pashtun ethnic group, or of a Pashtun tribe. ¹
3. Noun. A Pashto-speaking person. ¹
4. Proper noun. Pashto: the language of the Pashtun ethnic group. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pashtun Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pashtun
Literary usage of Pashtun
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Afghanistan's Two-Party Communism: Parcham and Khalq by Anthony Arnold (1983)
"He was hostile to Iran and Pakistan, supporting freedom and independence for their Pashtun and Baluch minorities in the proposed states of Pashtunistan and ..."
2. Afghanistan: The Soviet Invasion in Perspective by Anthony Arnold (1985)
"(Had Parcham emerged the victor, there might have been somewhat less violent a reaction—Parcham was less Pashtun-oriented than Khalq, though it still had a ..."
3. New Priorities in South Asia by Frank Wisner, Nicholas Platt, Marshall M. Bouton (2003)
"Stress Help for Pashtun Areas. The United States should be making support for projects in the Pashtun-populated ..."
4. World Report 2004: The Events of 2003 by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch (Organization (2004)
"Thus the Pashtun areas of southern and southeastern Afghanistan have witnessed an upsurge in activity by the Taliban and forces under the command of ..."
5. Human Rights Watch World Report 1999 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1998)
"In February, Riffat Afridi, a Pashtun woman in Karachi, ... In response, the Pashtun community called a strike in Karachi: two people were killed and dozens ..."
6. Human Rights Watch World Report, 2003: Events of 2002 (November 2001 by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch Staff (2003)
"In the last months of 2001 and first months of 2002, there was a wave of attacks on Pashtun civilians in the north of the country, seemingly because they ..."