Definition of Pectinibranchia
1. Noun. Large order of gastropods comprising univalve mollusks that have a single gill resembling a comb.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Class Gasteropoda, Class Gastropoda, Gasteropoda, Gastropoda
Member holonyms: Cypraeidae, Family Cypraeidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pectinibranchia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pectinibranchia
Literary usage of Pectinibranchia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The figures which are given here of various Pectinibranchia are in most cases sufficiently explained by the references attached to them. ..."
2. Anatomy of the Invertebrata by Carl Th. Ernst Siebold (1874)
"In the second section, there is a protractile penis with various Hetero- poda, all the Pectinibranchia,(4) and operculate Pulmonata. ..."
3. Fresh-water Biology by Henry Baldwin Ward, George Chandler Whipple (1918)
"The Pectinibranchia, in which all trace of bilateral symmetry in the circulatory, ... The Pectinibranchia are divided into two suborders, of which only one, ..."
4. A Treatise on Zoology by Edwin Ray Lankester (1906)
"Genus—Proserpina, Gray ; from Central America. ORDER 2. Pectinibranchia. ... The Pectinibranchia are divided into two ..."
5. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1883)
"... pectinibranchia (most of the marine univalves, turbo, trochus, &c. ... pectinibranchia, and pulmonata); and 3, cephalopoda ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Pectinibranchia