Definition of Phasianus colchicus
1. Noun. Common pheasant having bright plumage and a white neck ring.
Group relationships: Genus Phasianus, Phasianus
Generic synonyms: Pheasant
Terms within: Pheasant
Phasianus Colchicus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phasianus Colchicus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phasianus Colchicus
Literary usage of Phasianus colchicus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1893)
"Hybrid between Catreus wallichi and Phasianus colchicus. See p. 318. ... Phasianus colchicus, Radde $ Walt. Omis, 1880, p. 90 [Tausch.] Adult male. ..."
2. American Pheasant Breeding and Shooting by Emmet Augustus Quarles (1916)
"Pure maroon, the bird is a pure-bred "common" pheasant (Phasianus colchicus), a bird that is rarely seen in England today, so generally has it been crossed ..."
3. List of the Specimens of the British Animals in the Collection of the by George Robert Gray, James Francis Stephens, Adam White, Frederick Smith, Henry Denny, Henry Tibbats Stainton, Edwin Shepherd (1848)
"Phasianus colchicus. The Common Pheasant. Phasianus colchicus, Linn. SN ip 271 ; Temm. Man. d'Orn. 1815, p. 282 ; Leach, Syst. Cat. Mam. ..."
4. Cyclopædia of India and of Eastern and Southern Asia, Commercial, Industrial by Edward Balfour (1873)
"Phasianus colchicus arid •> Chinese Ph. torquatus, readily intermix »nd blend, ... Phasianus colchicus, the common pheasant was originally from Asia Minor. ..."