Definition of Salman Rushdie
1. Noun. British writer of novels who was born in India; one of his novels is regarded as blasphemous by Muslims and a fatwa was issued condemning him to death (born in 1947).
Salman Rushdie Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Salman Rushdie Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Salman Rushdie
Literary usage of Salman Rushdie
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Human Rights Watch World Report 1997 by Human Rights Watch (Organization), Human Rights Watch Staff (1996)
"... in return for an explicit pledge by Iran not to take any action to carry out the death sentence decreed against British author Salman Rushdie in 1989. ..."
2. Economic Sanctions and American Diplomacy by Richard Haass (1998)
"One important factor was the Iranian refusal to participate in a compromise over the Salman Rushdie affair, to which the European Union devoted considerable ..."
3. World Report 2000: The Events of 1999 by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch Staff (1999)
"Although the Khordad Foundation announced that its bounty for the killer of British author Salman Rushdie was still in force, ..."
4. Human Rights Watch World Report 1999 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1998)
"... Union The Iranian government dissociated itself from the reward offered by an Iranian foundation for the killing of the British novelist Salman Rushdie, ..."
5. Human Rights Watch World Report 2005: The Events of 2004 by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch (Organization (2005)
"The paradigm case in recent years is the Salman Rushdie case. On February 14, 1989, following the 1988 publication of Rushdie's book The Satanic Verses, ..."
6. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"Ayub Masih (detained since 1996) was convicted of blasphemy for making favorable comments about Salman Rushdie, the author of the controversial book, ..."
7. Oil Monarchies: Domestic and Security Challenges in the Arab Gulf States by F. Gregory Gause (1994)
"... to any administration, particularly given the continuing death sentence on Salman Rushdie and the alleged Iranian involvement in terrorist activities. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Salman Rushdie