Definition of Schinus molle
1. Noun. Small Peruvian evergreen with broad rounded head and slender pendant branches with attractive clusters of greenish flowers followed by clusters of rose-pink fruits.
Group relationships: Genus Schinus, Schinus
Generic synonyms: Tree
Schinus Molle Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Schinus Molle Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Schinus Molle
Literary usage of Schinus molle
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Contribution to Our Knowledge of Seedlings by John Lubbock (1892)
"The tissue of the fruit often contains large cavities filled with an oily or caustic juice as in Schinus molle and Schinus ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention (1897)
"Oil of Schinus molle, I..—Field and Characters.—Schimmel & Co. have distilled from the aromatic berries of the Schinus pepper-tree—Schinus molle, ..."
3. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1897)
"Schimmel & Co. have distilled from the aromatic berries of the Schinus pepper-tree—Schinus molle, I,.—received from Mexico, 5.2 per cent, ..."
4. Botanical Miscellany: Containing Figures and Descriptions of Such Plants as by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1831)
"In the interior, however, the heat in summer • But, in feet, a very different plant, the true Schinus molle being a native of ..."
5. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1888)
"25, 1887, 314. Schinus molle—Characters and Uses of the fruit.—Specimen samples of the fruit of Schinus molle have recently been ..."
6. Out West: A Magazine of the Old Pacific and the New by Charles Fletcher Lummis, Archaeological Institute of America Southwest Society, Sequoya League (1908)
"His definition is "A shrub or small tree of the cashew family, Schinus molle, native in South America and Mexico * * * Also called pepper-shrub and chili ..."
7. Gardening in California, Landscape and Flower: Landscape and Flower by John McLaren (1914)
"Schinus molle (Pepper-Tree) The Pepper-tree is a universal favorite and is ... Schinus molle, a native of Peru, is much the most handsome species of the ..."
8. Proceedings of the Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association at Its ... Annual by Pennsylvania Pharmaceutical Association (1890)
"Schinus molle, Linne, grows from Mexico southward, and in the country named is known as Arbol del Peru, indicating its South American origin' The bark, ..."