Definition of Epipactis
1. Noun. Genus of hardy orchids with leafy-bracted racemes of greenish or purplish irregular flowers.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Helleborine, Epipactis Helleborine, Chatterbox, Epipactis Gigantea, Giant Helleborine, Stream Orchid
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Epipactis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Epipactis
Literary usage of Epipactis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Our Native Orchids: A Series of Drawings from Nature of All the Species by William Hamilton Gibson, Helena Dewey Leeming Jelliffe (1905)
"OF the ten species of epipactis or Helleborine that grow in Europe only two are ... The Eastern species is epipactis viridiflora. It is common in Europe, ..."
2. The Various Contrivances by which Orchids are Fertilized by Insects by Charles Darwin (1889)
"epipactis and Goodyera agree pretty closely in their manner of ... epipactis palustris*—The lower part of the large ' * I am much indebted to Mr. ing me ..."
3. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1908)
"... secundus is in habit very similar to epipactis repens, although generically unlike it. ... epipactis ..."
4. The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture: A Discussion for the Amateur, and by Liberty Hyde Bailey (1915)
"Following this latter disposition, the characterization of epipactis is the same as the characterization given here for Goodyera, the name epipactis merely ..."
5. Charles Darwin's Works by Charles Darwin (1877)
"epipactis palustris; curious shape of the labellum and its importance in the ... epipactis and Goodyera agree pretty closely in their manner of ..."