Definition of Family vespertilionidae
1. Noun. The majority of common bats of temperate regions of the world.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Microchiroptera, Suborder Microchiroptera
Member holonyms: Vespertilian Bat, Vespertilionid, Genus Vespertilio, Vespertilio, Genus Lasiurus, Lasiurus, Genus Myotis, Myotis, Eptesicus, Genus Eptesicus, Antrozous, Genus Antrozous, Genus Pipistrellus, Pipistrellus, Euderma, Genus Euderma, Genus Plecotus, Plecotus
Family Vespertilionidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Vespertilionidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Vespertilionidae
Literary usage of Family vespertilionidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Dublin Journal of Medical Science (1836)
"... genus Vesper- tilio; family Vespertilionidae. A Treatise on Tetanus, being the Essay for which the Jack- ..."
2. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"The small bats constituting the family Vespertilionidae, have no nose-membrane, but an internal ..."
3. Zoology: A Systematic Account of the General Structure, Habits, Instincts by William Benjamin Carpenter (1848)
"No fewer than fifteen species are known to inhabit this country ; of these, all but two belong to the family Vespertilionidae. 169. ..."
4. Zoology: Being a Systematic Account of the General Structure, Habits by William Benjamin Carpenter (1857)
"No fewer than fifteen species are known to inhabit this country; of these, all but two belong to the family Vespertilionidae. 169. ..."