Definition of Family vespidae
1. Noun. An arthropod family of the order Hymenoptera including: yellow jackets; hornets; mason wasps.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Hymenoptera, Order Hymenoptera
Member holonyms: Vespid, Vespid Wasp, Genus Vespa, Vespa, Genus Vespula, Vespula, Genus Polistes, Polistes, Eumenes, Genus Eumenes
Family Vespidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Vespidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Vespidae
Literary usage of Family vespidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Coloration in Polistes by Wilhelmine Marie Enteman (1904)
"Polistes is the name of a genus of wasps belonging to the family Vespidae. ... Our species of this family (Vespidae) are in much confusion and require ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1903)
"In the families of Ants and the family Vespidae parthenogenesis similar to that of Apis is very common, as is also true for other species of the family ..."
3. Entomology for Beginners for the Use of Young Folks, Fruit-growers, Farmers by Alpheus Spring Packard (1888)
"family vespidae—In the social or paper wasps, the republic is a numerous one, there being many workers. They all have two spurs at the end of the middle ..."
4. Medical and Veterinary Entomology: A Textbook for Use in Schools and by William Brodbeck Herms (1915)
"These species with their relatives belong to the family Vespidae, and all have a well- developed sting which may be used on the least provocation. ..."
5. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"A name applied to several large stinging insects belonging to the family Vespidae and genus Vespa. ..."