Definition of Genus Bubalus
1. Noun. In some classification systems included in genus Bos; water buffaloes.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Bovidae, Family Bovidae
Member holonyms: Asiatic Buffalo, Bubalus Bubalis, Water Buffalo, Water Ox, Anoa Mindorensis, Bubalus Mindorensis, Tamarao, Tamarau
Genus Bubalus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Bubalus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Bubalus
Literary usage of Genus Bubalus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Natural History of the Mammalia of India and Ceylon by Robert Armitage Sterndale (1884)
"... and from the medial part of the abdomen over the thighs to the hinder parts" (Horsfield, ' Cat. Mam. Ind. Mus.'). genus Bubalus—THE BUFFALOS. ..."
2. A Monograph of the Genus Bos: The Natural History of Bulls, Bisons, and by George Vasey (1857)
"But here we have set down, in the sub-genus Bubalus, tail long, slender; in the sub-genus Taurus, tail long; and although the epithet slender is not added ..."
3. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1912)
"... the correct name for which appears to be Syncerus Hodgson. The synonymy and general characters of the two genera follow: genus Bubalus Smith. 1827. ..."
4. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society by Bombay Natural History Society (1886)
"Hab.: India, in parts. *a.—Mounted head of male, presented by Mr. Leslie Crawford, fe.—Skull, presented by Mr. Leslie Crawford. Genus—BUBALUS. ..."