Definition of Genus Pomoxis
1. Noun. Crappies.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Centrarchidae, Family Centrarchidae
Member holonyms: Crappie
Genus Pomoxis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Pomoxis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pomoxis
Literary usage of Genus Pomoxis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Ichthyologia Ohiensis, Or, Natural History of the Fishes Inhabiting the by Constantine Samuel Rafinesque, Richard Ellsworth Call (1899)
"Pectoral broad 12 rays. Tail 16. Branchial rays 5. A faint and narrow marginal black spot on the oper- cule beneath the spines. VI Genus. POMOXIS. POMOXIS. ..."
2. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"... pharyngeal teeth paved and rounded; gill-rakers soft and small, x+ 10; opercular flap rather small, the lower part bright scarlet. genus Pomoxis Pomoxis ..."
3. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"... teeth paved and rounded ; gill-rakers soft and small, x + 10; opercular flap rather small, the lower part bright scarlet. genus Pomoxis Pomoxis ..."
4. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus POMOXIS Rafinesque. Crappies. A strongly marked genus of rather large sun-fishes, distinguished by a compressed and deep body; large, oblique mouth; ..."
5. Annual Report by Smithsonian Institution (1857)
"A species of the -genus Pomoxis, of Rafinesque, as characterized by Professor Agassiz, is occasionally brought to the New York markets with the two ..."