Definition of Genus Porphyra
1. Noun. A genus of protoctist.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Genus
Group relationships: Bangiaceae, Family Bangiaceae
Member holonyms: Laver, Red Laver
Genus Porphyra Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Porphyra Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Porphyra
Literary usage of Genus Porphyra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1900)
"... nature not due to reproductive division, was evidently not considered by Kjellman when he divided the genus Porphyra into Porphyra proper and ..."
2. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1903)
"... and smooth globular thallus, can hardly be placed in the genus Pi/inia as here understood. THE genus Porphyra is represented in Farlow's Marine Algae ..."
3. The evolution of plant life, lower forms by George Massee (1891)
"... due to the cell-walls becoming encrusted with carbonate of lime. In the genus Porphyra the thallus consists of a large flat plate of cells. ..."
4. Fertilizer Resources of the United States by United States Dept. of Agriculture, Frank Kenneth Cameron, United States Bureau of Soils (1912)
"... or laver is a preparation made from the seaweed of the genus Porphyra. These plants are obtained almost exclusively from groves artificially propagated. ..."
5. University of California Publications in Botany by University of California, Berkeley (1903)
"To Mr. HTA Hus, we are desirous of expressing our thanks for examining all of the material of the genus Porphyra and for the masterly way in which he has ..."
6. Botanisches Zentralblatt: Referierendes Organ für das Gesamtgebiet der Botanik by Botanischer Verein in München, Deutsche Botanische Gesellschaft, Berlin (1902)
"(Pro. Cai. Acad. Sei. II. p. 173—238. pl. 20—22. 4. Jan. 1902.) The genus Porphyra is here considered to include both ..."