Definition of Genus Ribes
1. Noun. A flowering shrub bearing currants or gooseberries; native to northern hemisphere.
Generic synonyms: Plant Genus
Group relationships: Family Grossulariaceae, Gooseberry Family, Grossulariaceae
Member holonyms: Currant, Currant Bush, Garden Current, Red Currant, Ribes Rubrum, Black Currant, European Black Currant, Ribes Nigrum, Ribes Sativum, White Currant, Ribes Sanguineum, Winter Currant, Gooseberry, Gooseberry Bush, Ribes Grossularia, Ribes Uva-crispa
Genus Ribes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Ribes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Ribes
Literary usage of Genus Ribes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Historical and Descriptive Account of British America: Comprehending by Hugh Murray (1839)
"One of the most remarkable plants of the genus Ribes, R. stamineum, was discovered in North California by the venerable Menzies ; but was not introduced ..."
2. Bush-fruits: A Horticultural Monograph of Raspberries, Blackberries by Fred Wallace Card (1898)
"As before stated, this is one of the most widely known of the diseases affecting the genus Ribes. It first appears on the young leaves and tender tips of ..."
3. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"In general the term currant is applied to both the plant and fruit of those species of the genus Ribes that have no thorns and bear their ..."
4. The Shrubs of Northeastern America by Charles Stedman Newhall (1893)
"genus Ribes (Currant, etc.). Genus Hamamelis (Witch Hazel). Genus Aralia (Angelica Tree). Genus Cornus (Dogwoods or Cornels). Genus Sambucus (Elders). ..."
5. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th Series by California academy of sciences (1900)
"THE genus Ribes is represented on the Pacific Coast by four subgenera, which include an indefinite number of species and forms. A recent attempt on the part ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Genus Ribes