Definition of Hargeisa
1. Noun. A city in northwestern Somalia.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hargeisa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hargeisa
Literary usage of Hargeisa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. World Disasters Report: 1994 by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"In north-west Somalia, hargeisa is slowly recovering from enormous destruction during its bombing by the then government's airforce in 1988 and the ..."
2. In Pursuit of the "Mad" Mullah: Service and Sport in the Somali Protectorate by Malcolm McNeill, Arthur Charles Hugh Dixon (1902)
"... and hargeisa. It was necessary to keep some troops at the latter place, partly to watch the Rer Ali, a tribe to the southward from whom trouble was ..."
3. Seventeen Trips Through Somaliland and a Visit to Abyssinia: With by Harald G. C. Swayne (1903)
"... against Abyssinia—First meeting with Abyssinians—Disturbed country—English sportsmen met at hargeisa—Fresh start from hargeisa—Incessant rains—Thousands ..."
4. Rambles in Lion Land: Three Months' Leave Passed in Somaliland by Francis Barrow Pearce (1898)
""—Somali water-courses—Mysterious streams—Poor old pig !—The Queen of Sheba's Breasts—Ant-hills—Tortoises—hargeisa. WE started the next morning ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines (1999)
"Mine explosions are now rare in hargeisa. However, there are a number of minefields in its vicinity. The 1994-95 internal conflict in Somaliland, ..."
6. Landmines: A Deadly Legacy by Arms Project (Human Rights Watch), Physicians for Human Rights (U.S.) (1993)
"All hospitals could perform amputations, with the exception of Erigavo, but limited X-ray facilities existed only in Borama, hargeisa, Burao, and Berbera. ..."
7. Sessional Papers (1902)
"They were at once sent up to take charge of the levies at hargeisa and ... As soon as he could be spared from hargeisa. Lieutenant Byrne was sent westward ..."
8. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"The then-regional capital of hargeisa (now Somaliland's capital) was heavily ... Between 1994 and 1995 fierce battles in hargeisa and in the areas south and ..."