Definition of Homo erectus
1. Noun. Extinct species of primitive hominid with upright stature but small brain. "Homo erectus was formerly called Pithecanthropus erectus"
Generic synonyms: Homo, Human, Human Being, Man
Specialized synonyms: Java Man, Trinil Man, Peking Man
Homo Erectus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Homo Erectus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Homo Erectus
Literary usage of Homo erectus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Calcutta Review by University of Calcutta (1844)
"homo erectus, a form of genus of Homo, is found in association with the tools and at some ... Culturally the homo erectus stage has been attributed to Lower ..."
2. Dordogne by Mike Smith (2006)
"As ape-man gradually evolved into homo erectus, posture became more upright, brain size increased, and manipulative skills, tool- making ability and ..."
3. A Journey Into Christian Understanding by Chiang H. Ren (2000)
"Scientific evidence revealed that a physiologically man-like being, homo erectus, appeared 1.75 million years ago in Africa and spread out across Asia and ..."
4. Landscape Archaeology in Southern Epirus, Greece 1 by James Wiseman (2003)
"It was also thought that the Acheulean was associated with homo erectus and the ... Some authorities question whether homo erectus was responsible for the ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Homo erectus