Definition of Leaf bug
1. Noun. Small bright-colored insect that feeds on plant juices.
Generic synonyms: Bug, Hemipteran, Hemipteron, Hemipterous Insect
Specialized synonyms: Capsid, Mirid, Mirid Bug, Lace Bug
Leaf Bug Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leaf Bug Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leaf Bug
Literary usage of Leaf bug
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"... Typical Life History of a Leaf-Bug ... This insect, known as the four-lined leaf-bug, is found all over the United States ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"LEAF-BUG, or PLANT-BUG, bugs of the family ... Another species troublesome on currants, gooseberries, dahlias, etc., is the four-lined leaf-bug ..."
3. The Minnesota Horticulturist by Minnesota State Horticultural Society (1896)
"STRAWBERRY LEAF-BUG HI. Spraying with Bordeaux mixture is successfully practiced in preventing; this disease. The first spraying can be given early in the ..."
4. The American Entomologist edited by Benjamin Dann Walsh, Charles V Riley, George Vasey (1868)
"... which you Und in such swarms on the leaves of the basswood, in company with their larva? and their moulted skins, are the liase wood Leaf-bug (Той/it ..."
5. Injurious Insects: How to Recognize and Control Them by Walter Collins O'Kane (1912)
"A winter spraying with lime-sulphur solution or other strong contact insecticide will kill the overwintering form. The Four-lined Leaf-bug ..."