Definition of Nutmeg melon
1. Noun. A muskmelon vine with fruit that has a thin reticulated rind and sweet green flesh.
Terms within: Net Melon, Netted Melon
Generic synonyms: Cucumis Melo, Muskmelon, Sweet Melon, Sweet Melon Vine
2. Noun. The fruit of a variety of muskmelon vine; a melon with netlike markings and deep green flesh.
Generic synonyms: Muskmelon, Sweet Melon
Group relationships: Cucumis Melo Reticulatus, Net Melon, Netted Melon
Nutmeg Melon Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nutmeg Melon Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nutmeg Melon
Literary usage of Nutmeg melon
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The New Practical Housekeeping: A Compilation of New, Choice and Carefully by Estelle Woods Wilcox (1890)
"The nutmeg melon is the finest variety. To prepare for the table, wash them and ... For a nice Melon Salad pare rind from a musk or nutmeg melon and slice ..."
2. The Field and Garden Vegetables of America: Containing Full Descriptions of by Fearing Burr (1865)
"nutmeg melon. The nutmeg melon has been long in cultivation, and is almost every where to be found in the vegetable garden, though seldom in a perfectly ..."
3. Buckeye Cookery and Practical Housekeeping by Estelle Woods Wilcox (1877)
"... sponge, white, Buckeye, or lemon cake; watermelon, muskmelon, nutmeg-melon. ... quince marmalade; baked apples; musk and nutmeg-melon; crab apple jelly; ..."