Definition of Papaya tree
1. Noun. Tropical American shrub or small tree having huge deeply palmately cleft leaves and large oblong yellow fruit.
Terms within: Papaya
Group relationships: Carica, Genus Carica
Generic synonyms: Fruit Tree
Papaya Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Papaya Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papaya Tree
Literary usage of Papaya tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Terry's Mexico: Handbook for Travellers by Thomas Philip Terry (1909)
"Many of the natives of the Island World of olynesia know of the curious properties of the papaya tree. It would be iteresting to learn whether they gained ..."
2. Report by Hawaii Agricultural Experiment Station, John Minton Westgate (1907)
"A staminate papaya tree with very short flower stems. Fig. 2. ... A staminate papaya tree bearing no fruits 40 IV. Fig. 1.—Staminate papaya tree, bearing ..."
3. Foods: Or, How the World is Fed by Frank George Carpenter (1907)
"The papaya tree is seldom more than twenty-five feet high, ... papaya tree. The mangosteen is a famous delicacy in some of. the warmest parts of the world. ..."
4. The Carter Intermediate Readers by Anna H. Carter (1914)
"THE papaya tree The papaya tree goes quietly on year after year providing good, sweet fruit, on which all who will may feed. Is not that good and useful ..."
5. The Journal of Heredity by American Genetic Association (1916)
"... is practically vertical, the breaking of a papaya tree is rare, although the large, picturesque, palm- like leaves expose a large surface to the wind. ..."
6. Tropical Agriculture: The Climate, Soils, Cultural Methods, Crops, Live by Earley Vernon Wilcox (1916)
"For commercial purposes it is perhaps desirable to cut down the orchard and replant at the end of 3 years since the papaya tree has the peculiar habit of ..."
7. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society by Bombay Natural History Society (1886)
"But in January last year (1884) I was surprised to find at Dhar- war, in the garden of a house I had just entered, a male papaya tree bearing fruit upon its ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Papaya tree