Definition of Savings and loan
1. Noun. A thrift institution that is required by law to make a certain percentage of its loans as home mortgages.
Generic synonyms: Thrift Institution
Specialized synonyms: Building Society
Savings And Loan Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Savings And Loan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Savings And Loan
Literary usage of Savings and loan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annual Report by Indiana Building and Loan Association Dept (1909)
"... and Savings Association of Evansville 298 Permanent Savings and Loan Association of Union City 252 Perpetual Building and J^oan Association of Chalmers ..."
2. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1908)
"Rept, on investigation of moneys on deposit in various savings and loan banks of state ... California Savings and Loan Society, San Francisco 1883-1885. ..."
3. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific by Astronomical Society of the Pacific (1901)
"Alexander Montgomery Library Fund: with San Francisco Savings Union % 165 89 " German Savings and Loan Society 138 06 " Hibernia Savings and Loan Society 71 ..."
4. The Overland Monthly by Bret Harte (1872)
"Hosteller & Co., Flavoring Extracts, 2 Bowen Brothers, Family Grocers, 3 Savings And Loan Society, 4 Bank of California, 4 Bart I ing & Kimball, ..."
5. The Civil Code of the State of California: As Enacted in 1872, and Amended by California, Albert Hart (1876)
"When savings and loan corporations have a capital stock specified in their ... The directors of savings and loan corporations may, at such times and in such ..."
6. Index of Economic Material in the Documents of the States of the United by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse, Carnegie Institution of Washington. Dept. of Economics and Sociology (1912)
"Opinion as to whether savings and loan assn. may do business of safe deposit ... Business of savings and loan assn. and safe deposit and trust со. may be ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Savings and loan