Definition of Sinkiang
1. Noun. An autonomous province in far northwestern China on the border with Mongolia and Kazakhstan; the largest province in the People's Republic of China and the homeland of the Uighur people.
Geographical relationships: East Turkestan Islamic Movement, East Turkistan Islamic Movement
Generic synonyms: Province, State
Group relationships: Cathay, China, Communist China, Mainland China, People's Republic Of China, Prc, Red China
Member holonyms: Uighur, Uigur, Uygur
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sinkiang Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sinkiang
Literary usage of Sinkiang
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Provinces of China: Together with a History of the First Year of H.I.M by Clarence Dalrymple Bruce (1910)
"XX sinkiang (New Dominion or Chinese Turkistan) POSITION, AREA, POPULATION. sinkiang, ie, New Dominion, is better known to the world at large as Chinese ..."
2. The Storm Clouds Clear Over China: The Memoir of Ch'en Li-fu, 1900-1993 by Li-Fu Ch'en, Hsu-hsin Chang, Ramon Hawley Myers (1994)
"They shipped weapons to China in batches, which had to pass through sinkiang. Chiang, therefore, sent me to sinkiang to talk Sheng into supplying us with ..."
3. Land Magnetic Observations: 1905/10- by Louis Agricola Bauer, John Adam Fleming, Harlan Wilbur Fisk, Samuel Jackson Barnett, Harald Ulrik Sverdrup (1912)
"Choi Koda, sinkiang, 1909.—On level desert plain just east of most northeasterly of several inns which compose the village, 157 feet (47.8 meters) from ..."
4. Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl-fishing : Origins to the Age of Discoveriesby R. A. Donkin by R. A. Donkin (1998)
"Figured silk with 'pearl'-bordered medallions, Astana (Turfan), eastern sinkiang. 37. Fragment of a wall painting, probably from ..."
5. Beyond Price: Pearls and Pearl-fishing : Origins to the Age of Discoveriesby R. A. Donkin by R. A. Donkin (1998)
"... (Turfan), eastern sinkiang. 37. Fragment of a wall painting, probably from ... (Kucha), west-central sinkiang. •41. Patterned silk with duck motifs, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Sinkiang