Definition of Star-of-bethlehem
1. Noun. Any of several perennial plants of the genus Ornithogalum native to the Mediterranean and having star-shaped flowers.
Specialized synonyms: Ornithogalum Umbellatum, Sleepy Dick, Starflower, Summer Snowflake, Bath Asparagus, Ornithogalum Pyrenaicum, Prussian Asparagus, Chincherinchee, Ornithogalum Thyrsoides, Wonder Flower
Generic synonyms: Bulbous Plant
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Star-of-bethlehem Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Star-of-bethlehem
Literary usage of Star-of-bethlehem
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"Only a miraculous phenomenon could have been the Star of Bethlehem. It was like the miraculous pillar of fire which stood in the camp by night during ..."
2. Songs of Three Centuries by John Greenleaf Whittier (1890)
"the Star of Bethlehem! HERBERT KNOWLES. [1798-1827.3 LINES -WRITTEN IN RICHMOND CHURCHYARD, YORKSHIRE. " It is good for us to be here; if thou wilt, ..."
3. Kettell, Samuel: Specimens of American Poetry by Samuel Kettell (1829)
"... The radiant star of peace would rise, And dews of grace, at evening's shade, His spirit nurture for the skies. THE STAR OF BETHLEHEM, WHEN night her ..."
4. Holy-days and Holidays: A Treasury of Historical Material, Sermons in Full by Edward Mark Deems (1906)
"Thus the " fiery Trygon " was identified with the star of Bethlehem. ... Deep horror then my vitals froze; It was the Star of Bethlehem! " It was my guide, ..."