Definition of Toxic shock
1. Noun. Syndrome resulting from a serious acute (sometimes fatal) infection associated with the presence of staphylococcus; characterized by fever and diarrhea and nausea and diffuse erythema and shock; occurs especially in menstruating women using highly absorbent tampons.
Medical Definition of Toxic shock
1. See toxic shock syndrome. (12 Dec 1998)
Toxic Shock Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Toxic Shock Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Toxic Shock
Literary usage of Toxic shock
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Physiology and Biochemistry in Modern Medicine by John James Rickard Macleod (1922)
"toxic shock.—The condition known as anaphylaxis and that which follows the injection of histamine into normal animals furnish the best known examples of ..."
2. The American Year Book by Simon Newton Dexter North, Francis Graham Wickware, Albert Bushnell Hart (1914)
"... and breathed the air under normal atmos- toxic, and may give rise to a condi- pheric pressure, while the air pres- tion called "toxic shock. ..."
3. Blood-pressure by George William Norris (1917)
"Medical or toxic shock.—A condition of shock clinically identical with that ... That there is, however, a difference between toxic shock and that due to ..."
4. Guide To Clinical Preventive Services by U. S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989)
"toxic shock syndrome and the vaginal contraceptive sponge. JAMA 1986; 255:216-8. 33. Centers for Disease Control. toxic shock syndrome and the vaginal ..."
5. Ending the War Metaphor: The Changing Agenda for Unraveling the Host-Microbe by Forum on Microbial Threats, Institute of Medicine (U.S.) (2006)
"Similar scenarios involving human behavior underlie several recent infectious crises, including Legionnaire's disease and toxic shock syndrome. ..."
6. Current Issues in Women's Health: An Fda Consumer Special Report (1993)
"If you have had toxic shock, seek medical advice before using tampons. toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is rare, but it can be fatal. If you have symptoms, ..."