Definition of Accipitridae
1. Noun. Hawks; Old World vultures; kites; harriers; eagles.
Generic synonyms: Bird Family
Group relationships: Falconiformes, Order Falconiformes
Member holonyms: Hawk, Accipiter, Genus Accipiter, Buteo, Genus Buteo, Genus Pernis, Pernis, Kite, Genus-milvus, Milvus, Elanoides, Genus Elanoides, Elanus, Genus Elanus, Circus, Genus Circus, Circaetus, Genus Circaetus, Bird Of Jove, Eagle, Genus Harpia, Harpia, Aquila, Genus Aquila, Genus Haliaeetus, Haliaeetus, Old World Vulture, Genus Gyps, Gyps, Genus Gypaetus, Gypaetus, Genus Neophron, Neophron, Aegypius, Genus Aegypius
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Accipitridae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Accipitridae
Literary usage of Accipitridae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1883)
"In an arrangement of genera indicating phylo- genetic trends in the Accipitridae, the Old World vultures are placed quite far from the ..."
2. Adventure Guide to the Alaska Highway by Ed Readicker-Henderson (2006)
"owl, six kinds of falcon, and eight species from the family Accipitridae, which includes harriers, hawks, and eagles. Book a flight and buy your topo maps ..."
3. Monitoring Bird Populations by Point Counts edited by C. John Ralph, John R. Sauer, Sam Droege (1998)
"Appendix В—Families and common and scientific names of bird species Family name Ardeidae Common name Anatidae Rallidae Cathartidae Accipitridae Falconidae ..."
4. Elementary Text-book of Zoology by Carl Claus, Adam Sedgwick (1885)
"... Gypaetus barbatus Cuv., Lammergeier, South Europe. Fam. Accipitridae = Falconidae. With shorter and usually ..."