Definition of Aedes albopictus
1. Noun. Striped native of Japan thriving in southwestern and midwestern United States and spreading to the Caribbean; potential carrier of serious diseases.
Generic synonyms: Mosquito
Group relationships: Aedes, Genus Aedes
Medical Definition of Aedes albopictus
1. A species that is an important vector of dengue viruses widespread in the Pacific basin. (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aedes Albopictus
Literary usage of Aedes albopictus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Harmful Non-Indigenous Species in the United States (1994)
"Mitchell et al., "Isolation of Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus From Aedes albopictus in Florida," Science, vol. 257, July 24,1992, pp. ..."
2. A Melancholy Scene of Devastation: The Public Response to the 1793 by J. Worth Estes, Billy G. Smith (1997)
"The aedes population has gradually resurged, and there is a new yellow fever vector in the American South now, Aedes albopictus. ..."
3. Papers and Proceedings of the Surgeon General's Conference on Agricultural edited by Melvin L. Myers (1994)
"This becomes increasingly more likely with the spread of the Asian tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus, which is now considered to enjoy a statewide ..."
4. Selected Proceedings of the Symposium on Inference for Stochastic Processes by Ishwar V. Basawa, C. C. Heyde, Robert Lee Taylor, (2001)
"Kambhampati, S., Rai, KS and Verleye, DM, 1992: Frequencies of mitochondrial DN A haplotypes in laboratory cage populations of the mosquito Aedes albopictus ..."