Definition of Afrasian
1. Noun. A large family of related languages spoken both in Asia and Africa.
Generic synonyms: Natural Language, Tongue
Specialized synonyms: Chad, Chadic, Chadic Language, Semitic, Hamitic, Hamitic Language, Egyptian, Berber, Cushitic, Omotic
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Afrasian Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Afrasian
Literary usage of Afrasian
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease by American Neurological Association, Philadelphia Neurological Society, Chicago Neurological Society, New York Neurological Association, Boston Society of Psychiatry and Neurology (1913)
"... who applied to Afrasian for protection and assistance. He was kindly received by Afrasian, who gave him his daughter ..."
2. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. by Edward Gibbon (1811)
"Yet after the fortune of his posterity, Seljuk became the thirty-fourth in lineal descent from the great Afrasian, ..."
3. The Races of Man: An Outline of Anthropology and Ethnography by Joseph Deniker (1900)
"... above the average comprise Irano-Hindu populations, the Afrasian Semites, the inhabitants of Central Europe, as well as the Melanesians and Australians. ..."
4. Babylonian Horoscopes by Francesca ( Rochberg (1998)
"... Fucus: A Semitic/Afrasian gathering in remembrance of Alben Ehrman (- Current Issues in Linguistic Theory 58, 1988), pp.443-447. ..."