Definition of Anagallis
1. Noun. Chiefly Old World herbs.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Primulaceae, Primrose Family, Primulaceae
Member holonyms: Pimpernel
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Anagallis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Anagallis
Literary usage of Anagallis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Curtis's Botanical Magazine, Or, Flower-garden Displayed: In which the Most by John Sims (1805)
"Anagallis grandiflora. Bot. ... of Anagallis fo nearly referable each other, that it is not ... Thus in Anagallis ..."
2. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London by Linnean Society of London (1798)
"Anagallis half open at noon for Gen'le rain in the morning. ... Anagallis at ioj- half open. Quite open from iz 103. ..."
3. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1882)
"Klug., ON VERONICA Anagallis.—Dr. Paxton, of this town, having noticed for some years ... Last Saturday, upon searching Veronica anagallis for more galls, ..."
4. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1902)
"Anagallis ARVENSIS AND CAERULEA IN VERMONT. ALICE E. BACON. ... On investigating the matter she found a few scattered plants of Anagallis arvensis ..."
5. Popular field botany: Containing a Familiar and Technical Description of the by Agnes Catlow (1848)
"Anagallis ARVENSIS. Scarlet Pimpernel. This flower, under the name of Poor ... Anagallis TENELLA. Bog Pimpernel. A beautiful little plant not flowering so ..."
6. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1794)
"CHAR. Leaves ovate inclining to lanceolate, dotted beneath. Stem upright. Corolla strongly crenate. SYN. Anagallis ..."
7. Philadelphia Medical and Physical Journal by Benjamin Smith Barton (1806)
"Hydrophobia,unsuccessfully treated by Anagallis, Mercurial Ointment, ... On Monday morning (August 2d), he began to take the Anagallis arvensis, ..."