Definition of Asian
1. Noun. A native or inhabitant of Asia.
Generic synonyms: Denizen, Dweller, Habitant, Indweller, Inhabitant, Person Of Color, Person Of Colour
Specialized synonyms: Coolie, Cooly, Oriental, Oriental Person, Indian, Eurasian, Afghan, Afghanistani, Altaic, Armenian, Bangladeshi, Bengali, Bhutanese, Bhutani, Burmese, Byzantine, Cambodian, Kampuchean, Chinese, East Indian, Malay, Malayan, Hindoo, Hindu, Hindustani, Hmong, Miao, Indonesian, Irani, Iranian, Persian, Iraki, Iraqi, Israelite, Israeli, Japanese, Nipponese, Jordanian, Korean, Kurd, Kuwaiti, Lao, Laotian, Lebanese, Malaysian, Maldivan, Maldivian, Nepalese, Nepali, Pakistani, Parthian, Singhalese, Sinhalese, Sherpa, Syrian, Taiwanese, Tadzhik, Tajik, Siamese, Tai, Thai, Tibetan, Turki, Kazakhstani, Annamese, Vietnamese, Singaporean, Sri Lankan, Dardan, Dardanian, Trojan, Iberian, Mongoloid, Timorese
Derivative terms: Asiatic
2. Adjective. Of or relating to or characteristic of Asia or the peoples of Asia or their languages or culture. "Asian countries"
Definition of Asian
1. a. Of or pertaining to Asia; Asiatic.
Definition of Asian
1. Noun. A person from Asia. ¹
2. Noun. (British), (''British Africa''), A person who originates from the Indian subcontinent, sometimes including East and Southeast Asia. ¹
3. Noun. (US Australia Canada), A person who originates from the Indian subcontinent, East and Southeast Asia, sometimes excluding the Indian Subcontinent. ¹
4. Noun. (NZ) , A person who originates from East or Southeast Asia, very rarely used in reference to people from the Indian Subcontinent. ¹
5. Noun. A domestic cat of a breed similar to the Burmese. ¹
6. Adjective. Of, relating to or from Asia. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Asian Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Asian
Literary usage of Asian
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Population Profile of the U.S., 1997 by Andrea Curry, Karen Mills, Janice Valdisera (2000)
"The Asian and Pacific Islander Population The Asian and Pacific Islander population is growing ... Several Asian groups, such as the Chinese and Japanese, ..."
2. Prevention Primer: An Encyclopedia of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"non-Asian youth. However, Asian youths and adults experience added ... ^S Prevention programs for Asian/Pacific Islander Americans will be most U— effective ..."
3. Drug Use Among Racial/Ethnic Minorities edited by Andrea Kopstein (1998)
"A summary of Asian/Pacific Islander information is provided for ... Asian/Pacific Islanders Asian/Pacific Islanders comprise more than 60 separate ..."
4. Technologies for Understanding and Preventing Substance Abuse and Addiction by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"Asian and Pacific Island Americans Historically According to the US Census Bureau, ... Similar to the other racial and ethnic categories, the term Asian and ..."
5. Central Asia and the World: Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan by Michael Mandelbaum (1994)
"The five Central Asian states generally favored the latter approach until ... The reluctance of the Central Asian states to undertake the creation of their ..."
6. Global Employment: An International Investigation Into the Future of Work by Mihály Simai, Valentine M. Moghadam, Arvo Kuddo (1995)
"Recent world events may have slowed down the impressive performance, but it is still widely expected that some of the Southeast Asian countries will soon be ..."
7. Batterer Intervention: Program Approaches & Criminal Justice Strategies by Christine Smith, Kerry Healey, Chris O'Sullivan (1999)
"At DAIS, one multilingual Vietnamese counsels most Asian batterers ... By contrast, at Seattle's Refugee Women's Alliance, five groups of Asian and other ..."