Definition of Balaenopteridae
1. Noun. Rorquals; blue whales.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Mysticeti, Suborder Mysticeti
Member holonyms: Razorback, Rorqual, Balaenoptera, Genus Balaenoptera, Genus Megaptera, Megaptera
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Balaenopteridae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Balaenopteridae
Literary usage of Balaenopteridae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Natural Emirates: Wildlife and Environment of the United Arab Emirates by Peter Vine (1996)
"... THE BALEEN WHALES Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) Family Balaenopteridae This enormous whale, named after the silvery blue sheen of its mottled skin, ..."
2. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"In osteo- logical characters it tends to unite the two families Balaenopteridae and Balaenidae (if they are really necessary subdivisions). ..."
3. The Journal of Anatomy and Physiology by Anatomical Society of Great Britain and Ireland (1885)
"Among the Balaenopteridae the B. borealis has the best flesh, and during recent years the flesh has been skinned for eating. The colour of the flesh is ..."
4. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"X Family Balaenopteridae Genus et sp. indeterminate X Order Perissodactyla Family Equidae Equus ..."
5. Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh by Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh (1888)
"... in this family of whales, to the much more extensive and well-known fluted appearance of the belly, seen in the Rorquals or Balaenopteridae ..."