Definition of Champlain
1. Noun. French explorer in Nova Scotia who established a settlement on the site of modern Quebec (1567-1635).
2. Noun. A lake in northeastern New York, northwestern Vermont and southern Quebec; site of many battles in the French and Indian War and in the American Revolution and in the War of 1812.
Group relationships: Quebec, Empire State, New York, New York State, Ny, Green Mountain State, Vermont, Vt
Generic synonyms: Lake
Definition of Champlain
1. Proper noun. (surname from=Old French dot=) from a French topographic name from words meaning field and flat. ¹
2. Proper noun. Samuel de Champlain, French geographer and explorer. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Champlain Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Champlain
Literary usage of Champlain
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Geology by University of Chicago Department of Geology and Paleontology (1904)
"Higher Glacial Lake Champlain. Erosion of Fort Edward Valley—making upper series ... Cutting of outlet of Lake Champlain. History in Hudson Valley in Higher ..."
2. Narrative and Critical History of America by Justin Winsor (1889)
"Champlain sails for America, under Pont Grave and 1'revert, iv. ... Champlain explores the Saguenay, iv. 104. De Monts and Champlain on the Nova Scotia and ..."
3. Guide to the Study and Reading of American History by Edward ( Channing, Frederick Jackson Turner, Alberet Bushnell Hart (1912)
"See also portions in WL Grant, Voyages of Champlain (in Jameson's series of "Original Narratives"); EG Bourne, Voyages and Explorations of Champlain (Trail ..."
4. Manual of Geology: Treating of the Principles of the Science with Special by James Dwight Dana (1894)
"The terra Champlain was first used by C. II. Hitchcock, in the Report on tlie Geology of Vermont (1801), for the marine beds of the period occurring along ..."
5. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1907)
"Stmts. showing Indebtedness of Erie and Champlain canal fund to general fund for amt. of ... Amt. of Erie and Champlain fund money held by banks Sept. ..."
6. Francis Parkman's Works by Francis Parkman (1906)
"THE COMTE DE SOISSONS. — THE PRINCE DE CONDE. Champlain and ... Early in the spring of 1610, the ship was ready, and Champlain and ..."