Definition of Crocuta crocuta
1. Noun. African hyena noted for its distinctive howl.
Generic synonyms: Hyaena, Hyena
Group relationships: Crocuta, Genus Crocuta
Lexicographical Neighbors of Crocuta Crocuta
Literary usage of Crocuta crocuta
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"A very different animal is the spotted hyena, Hyaena (Crocuta) crocuta, which has the sectorial teeth of a ..."
2. Bulletin by Smithsonian Institution, Dept. of the Interior, United States Dept. of the Interior, United States National Museum, United States (1918)
"Crocuta crocuta germinans ROOSEVELT AND HELLER, Life-Hist. African Game Anim., vol. l, p. 261. Specimens.—Forty-six, from the following localities: ..."
3. The Encyclopedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"A very different animal is the spotted hyena, Hyaena (Crocuta) crocuta, which has the sectorial teeth of a more cat-like type, and is marked by dark-brown ..."
4. The Zulus and the British Frontiers by Thomas J. Lucas (1879)
"... crocuta (crocuta rufa), the brown hyaena, the hyaena villosa or maned jackal, the strand or coast wolf of the Dutch, ..."
5. Natal: A History and Description of the Colony : Including Its Natural by Henry Brooks (1876)
"The hyaena crocuta (Crocuta rufa), the brown hyaena, of which Natal specimens have been shown in the collection of the Zoological Society of London ..."
6. Southern Africa: South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabweby Bernard Joliat by Bernard Joliat (2000)
"... round head and a black stripe from each eye to the mouth, with filled blotches Spotted hyena Crocuta crocuta Something of a nightmare in appearance - a ..."