Definition of Ectopistes
1. Noun. A genus of Columbidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Columbidae, Family Columbidae
Member holonyms: Ectopistes Migratorius, Passenger Pigeon
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ectopistes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ectopistes
Literary usage of Ectopistes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1893)
"Range. The same as that of the only species. I. Ectopistes migratorius. ... and C. migra* Swainson, among the characters of the genus Ectopistes, ..."
2. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"There is but one genus and a single species in this sub-family. THE PASSENGER PIGEONS. GENUS Ectopistes. Ectopistes, Swainson, Zool. Journ. p. 362 (1827). ..."
3. Birds of Great Britain and Ireland: Parts 1-4 by William Jardine (1866)
"Ectopistes—Generic character.—Bill moderate, the maxilla with little angle; " wings very long, pointed, the two first quills longest; ..."
4. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1856)
"Ectopistes MARGINATUS. The marginated Pigeon. Columba marginata. Linn. SN ip 286. ... Ectopistes marginatus, GR Gray, Gen. of B. ii. p. 471. ..."