Definition of Felidae
1. Noun. Cats; wildcats; lions; leopards; cheetahs; saber-toothed tigers.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Carnivora, Order Carnivora
Member holonyms: Felid, Feline, Felis, Genus Felis, Genus Lynx, Big Cat, Cat, Genus Panthera, Panthera, Acinonyx, Genus Acinonyx, Genus Smiledon, Smiledon, Genus Nimravus, Nimravus
Medical Definition of Felidae
1. A family of Carnivora embracing domestic and wild cats such as lions and tigers. Origin: L. Felis, cat (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Felidae
Literary usage of Felidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Polar and Tropical Worlds: A Description of Man and Nature in the Polar by Georg Hartwig (1872)
"... Spotted and Brown Hyenas—The Felidae of New World—The Jaguar —Hunting the Jaguar—The Cougar, or Puma—The Ocelot—The ..."
2. The White River Badlands by Cleophas Cisney O'Harra (1920)
"Felidae The cat family is well represented in fossil form in the White River region, although neither the species nor the individuals were so numerous as ..."
3. Transactions of the American Dental Association at Its ... Annual Session by American Dental Association (1891)
"... and extremes are reduced and compromised to adapt the teeth to varied foods. In the true Felidae, as in the true ..."
4. The Evolution of Life by Hubbard Winslow Mitchell (1891)
"... or cat-like animals— The Felidae : lion, tiger, leopard, and the whole order of cats—Civets—Genette—Ichneumon ..."
5. University of California Publications. Bulletin of the Department of by University of California (1868-1952) (1910)
"Felidae.—Remains of representatives of the Felidae are known in Eastern Oregon only ... Compared with the White River cats, the Felidae of the John Day have ..."