Definition of Felis domesticus
1. Noun. Any domesticated member of the genus Felis.
Generic synonyms: Domestic Animal, Domesticated Animal, Cat, True Cat
Group relationships: Felis, Genus Felis, Clowder
Specialized synonyms: Kitty, Kitty-cat, Puss, Pussy, Pussycat, Mouser, Alley Cat, Tom, Tomcat, Queen, Tabby, Tabby, Tabby Cat, Tiger Cat, Calico Cat, Tortoiseshell, Tortoiseshell-cat, Persian Cat, Angora, Angora Cat, Siamese, Siamese Cat, Burmese Cat, Egyptian Cat, Maltese, Maltese Cat, Abyssinian, Abyssinian Cat, Manx, Manx Cat
Felis Domesticus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Felis Domesticus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Felis Domesticus
Literary usage of Felis domesticus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to the Mammalian Dentition by Thomas Wingate Todd (1918)
"In the domestic Cat, Felis domesticus (Fig. 62) the incisors are small and set transversely; the canines are long; the first upper premolar very small, ..."
2. List of the Osteological Specimens in the Collection of the British Museum by British Museum (Natural History), John Edward Gray, Dept. of Zoology, George Robert Gray (1847)
"Skull. England. Presented by Mr. J. Baker. Skeleton, adult. England. The CAT. Felis domesticus. Skull. Nepal. Presented by BH Hodgson, Esq. Skeleton of ..."
3. Histological Studies on the Localisation of Cerebral Function by Alfred Walter Campbell (1905)
"Felis domesticus. Crucial or Motor Area. We are indebted to the experimental physiologist for the information that the motor cortex of the common members of ..."
4. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1905)
"The present study is founded on an exhaustive examination of the cerebral cortex of Felis domesticus, ..."