Definition of Gershwin
1. Noun. United States lyricist who frequently collaborated with his brother George Gershwin (1896-1983).
2. Noun. United States composer who incorporated jazz into classical forms and composed scores for musical comedies (1898-1937).
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gershwin Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gershwin
Literary usage of Gershwin
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Eileen by Victor Herbert, Henry Blossom (1917)
"Gershwin For Goodness Sake Daly 4 tannin Furs and Frills Hein Garrick Gaieties 1926, The Rodgers George White's Scandals 1921 .. .Gershwin George White.s ..."
2. The Living Age by Making of America Project, Eliakim Littell, Robert S. Littell (1844)
"Gershwin undoubtedly possessed great talent, but his early ... Gershwin had worked so long on music of doubtful taste, that in a piece in which he would ..."
3. Mineral Tolerance of Animals by National Research Council (U. S.) (2005)
"Donald, JM, MS Golub, ME Gershwin, and CL Keen. 1989. Neurobehavioral effects in offspring ... Golub, MS, B. Han, CL Keen, E. Gershwin, and RP Tarara. 1995. ..."
4. Toxicological Profile for Aluminum (Update) (2001)
"*Golub MS, Keen CL, Gershwin ME. 1992a. Neurodevelopmental effect of aluminum in mice: fostering ... *Golub MS, Takeuchi PT, Gershwin ME, et al. 1993b. ..."
5. Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement by Stephanie Harvey, Anne Goudvis (2007)
"Summertime from Porgy and Bess by lra Gershwin, George Gershwin, DuBose Heyward, and Dorothy Heyward Beautiful illustrations by Mike Wimmer depict the ..."
6. The Best Plays by Burns Mantle, Louis Kronenberger (1899)
"(Closed March 14, 1942) * PORGY AND BESS (165 performances) A folk opera in three acts by DuBose Heyward; music by George Gershwin; lyrics by DuBose Heyward ..."
7. Design and Analysis of Integrated Manufacturing Systems by W. Dale Compton (1988)
"REFERENCES Akella, R., Y. Choong, and SB Gershwin. 1985. Real time production scheduling of ... Gershwin, SB, RR Hildebrant, SK Mitter, and R. Suri. 1986. ..."
8. Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory of the Web by David Weinberger (2002)
"In fact, in this city, nearness loses its symmetry: my Broadway show room may be near (linked to) your Gershwin room, but your Gershwin room need not be ..."