Definition of Ginglymostoma
1. Noun. Nurse sharks.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Orectolobidae, Orectolobidae
Member holonyms: Ginglymostoma Cirratum, Nurse Shark
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ginglymostoma
Literary usage of Ginglymostoma
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1870)
"Ginglymostoma. 22. Two dorsal fins, without spines; the first above or behind the ventrals ; the second opposite to, and somewhat in advance of, the anal. ..."
2. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1889)
"A family of anarthrous selachians, typified by the genus Ginglymostoma, related to" the ... Ginglymostoma (jing- or ging-gli-mos'to-mil), ». ..."
3. Guide to the Gallery of Fishes in the Department of Zoology of the British by William George Ridewood (1908)
"The genus Ginglymostoma includes Sharks some of which grow to twelve feet in length, with small eyes and minute spiracles; they are of pelagic habit and ..."
4. Geological Magazine by Henry Woodward (1891)
"The teeth described under this specific name exhibit all the characters of Ginglymostoma, as already noted by ..."
5. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"... which is long and bent abruptly upward at its base. These large sharks, known as nurse-sharks, are found in the warm seas. Ginglymostoma ..."
6. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1915)
"Four species of sharks, Ginglymostoma cirratum, Galeocerdo tigrinus, ... Ginglymostoma cirratum (Gmelin). NURSE SHARK. In the summer of 1913, while working ..."